2013-07-29 at

A Blog Named Death

So a couple of public figures, one of civil society, and one of commerce, have been gunned down (or gunned, in any event) in as many days.

[Insert expected public furor at crime rates and the efficacy of the media here.]

This was my last post online before I drove home today.
Death comes at any time, in saddest, maddest, or gladdest moments alike. All who are not ready are either cowards, victims, or fools.
On my drive home today, I wondered about death, and its discomforting effect on many people.

I thought about writing a set of 50 deaths, or dialogues about deaths. Then I figured it might turn into a longer campaign, perhaps 500 deaths. Then I thought, why not 5000. It seemed like a great idea for an art project.

And then I started to think about the probable effect of writing sensitive accounts of death, factual, or fictional. And then it seemed that if this sort of art project was pushed to unlimited extents, the project might develop haters. Or even uncivil parodies, where deaths described in the project were enacted by living people, as suicides or murders.

So my certainty about enacting this project kinda paused there. I still want to do it, but I am weighing the pros and cons. So I am going to go think about something else for a little while.

No comments :

Post a Comment