2013-10-04

Calibration (Unseasoned Burrs)

My rather sloppy dataset from the first day that they let me mess with the grinder. To think that I avoided being a natural scientist mainly because I found wet-lab work boring.
5:23pm
notch ~ 2.9
time 4.95
: stuck

n ~ 3.3
: stuck
: stuck

time 3.95
: dripping

time 3.5
: cone 9s still slow

time 3, notch 3.3
: j0, cone 8s, stop 30s, 30g extraction,

time 3, notch 3.3
: j1, 15g dose, cone 7, stop 30, 43g extraction

time 3, notch 3.3
: j0, 16g dose, cone 6, stop 30, 54g ext

time 3.25, notch 3.3
:j0, cone 6, stop 30, 43g ext, bitter
:j0, cone 7, stop 30, 47g ext
:j0, cone 7, stop 30, 43g ext
:j0, cone 6, stop 22, more sour, less bitter, less offensive

time 3.25, notch 3.2
:j0, cone 6, stop 24, less sour, more bitter, more balanced
:j0, cone 6, stop 23, 33g ext, more bitter
:j0, stop 23, 38g ext, a bit flatter
: purge
: purge
:j0, cone 6

time 3.25, notch 2.7
: purge
: purge
: j0, cone 6, stop 24, 43g ext, slightly more acidity (weird)
: j0, cone 6, stop 22, 25g ext, much more acidic
: j0, cone 6, stop 22, 23g ext, acidic, hint of fruit
: j0, cone 6, stop 24, 23g ext,
: j0, cone 6, stop 28, 25g ext,

(I think we should go coarser)

time 3.25, notch 2.9
: purge
: purge
: purge
: purge
: j0, cone 7, stop 22, 14g dose, 22g ext, bitter, but tastes weak in latte (probably underdosage being obvious)

8:09pm
grind 3.25s, notch ~3.5
: 16g dose
: 17g dose
: 16g dose, 7s cone, 23s stop, 29g ext, sour and bitter

dose 3.50s, notch ~3.5 (the day eventually ended around here, so I almost had it, but then...)
: 18g dose, 7s cone, 27g ext, sour and bitter
: 20g dose
: 18g dose

(switched scale to Hario)

: 18.8g, 7s cone, 22s stop, 35.5g ext
: 17.8g, 7s cone, 23s stop, 35.0g ext

dose 3.5s, notch ~4.0 (...this was a mistake, I went coarser, but had meant to go finer)
: purge
: 20.5g dose
: 20.7g dose

dose 3.5s, notch ~3
: 19.4g
: 17.4g
: 18.4g
: 18.0g, 7s cone, 22s stop, 47.7g ext
: 18.9g, 7s cone, 20s stop, 37g ext (this was the mistake beginning to reverse itself, perhaps, but I mistakenly thought that we weren't getting anywhere, and fussed with the input variables; ridiculous - it seems we needed to purge 90-100g before the output variable (extraction mass) started heading where I wanted it to go)

dose 3.5s, notch ~2.4
: 17.3g
: 16.5g
: 15.6g
: 15.0g
: 15.4g, 7s cone, 25s stop, 15.2g ext
: 15.4g, 29s stop, 18.5g ext

dose 3.5s, notch ~2.7
: purge
: 15.8g
: 16.2g
: 16.0g, very slow flow
: 15.5g, very slow flor
: 15.7g

dose 3.5s, notch ~2.8
: 15.5g, slow
: 15.4g, slow
: 15.4g, slow
: 15.8g,

dose 3.5s, notch ~3
: 16.7g, slow
: 16.8g, slow
: 17.0g
: 16.8g slow
: 17.0g

10:00pm Thursday - dose 3.5s, notch ~3.4
: 17.6g, slow
: 18.0g, slow
: 17.7g, a wee bit faster
: 18.2g, as fast as the last shot
: 18.3g, cut at 27s, stop at 30s, 29.9g ext
This was after the client had demoed his testing process of how confusing new gear can be. In any event, Roburs need 30+g purges between grind-size-setting changes, per empirical evidence and forum advice.

No comments :

Post a Comment