2014-01-26 at

Scratching

I was waiting for the laundry to be done. There was a scratching, and a tapping from the glass door of the balcony. I ignored it, but a little later I realised that it was coming from the ceiling. Wondering if it was a mouse, a bat, or some other creature, I let it be. But it continued.

So I tapped the ceiling with the end of a mop. The noises stopped. Then they resumed several minutes later. I tapped here and there on the ceiling, and the noises would stop temporarily. So I unfolded the ladder, and entered the ceiling of my home through the usual loosened ceiling boards that are there for this purpose. With a flashlight, I found a speechless bird in one corner. It was a weak-looking bird, and I considered nursing it before letting it go.

I picked it up, and it did not seem to attack me, but it screeched and squawked in its little bird voice. Unfortunately, in the short time that I had known this bird, I did not invest sufficiently in empathy with its plight. I made my way to the edge of the ceiling, and dropped it outside, through a space under the roof tiles.

Farewell, bird, I wish you well, knowing that your lifespan will probably be shorter than mine, but that mine may be shorter than your own.

Now it is time to finish the laundry.

No comments :

Post a Comment