2024-04-09 at

"GarageStack"

Towards building a tiny IaaS for individual users that is also FOSS.

Reviewing the past few days' readings. OpenStack and Kubernetes are doing a great job, but they're very, very, fat. I mean they're oriented around big-people problems, and are quite OS-oriented in their approach to fundamental units of governance.

I just want something like a HomeStack ( don't google it - the brand is taken ) or GarageStack ( this brand isn't taken ), which would basically be an IaaS deployable on anything as small as a home router, USB drives, a NAS, and obsolete laptops - but robust enough to scale up to a public cloud, if needed. (If it scales that well, getting it to run at scale on bare-metal shouldn't be the hugest problem, but thinking about that right now would certainly be a premature development concern.)

I guess given my limited background in this area, I'll probably end up trying to see if I can get ErlangOTP to handle the control plane.

But then, I still have this niggling feeling that I should check out the newer V8 runtimes like Deno and Bun, to try and implement a JavaScript version of whatever OTP is doing. But maybe this too is premature optimisation.

IDK, we'll see.

Maybe related : https://ferd.ca/a-pipeline-made-of-airbags.html

No comments :

Post a Comment