2024-04-29 at

Clearing Working Memory to Improve Reading Efficiency


I have spent much of the past 1-2 weeks summarising notes from Wikipedia. That's basically "walls of text", every minute, many minutes per hour, a few hours a day. Hell, for my text-fearing friends. It brought to mind my early studies of speed-reading in 1992, and then in college around 2003.


To decongest the data pipeline, I take breaks. It is not sufficient to simply "not look at texts", as that pauses the pipeline in flight, restarting later when one next looks at texts. Instead, when not looking at texts, I find it helpful to conjure in my imagination the pre-processing steps involved in reading ... marking out subsets of my field of vision, and scanning them for text. Of course, scanning non-text imagery for text results in nothing ... but that is the point. The memory banks for these processes are cleared a little better.


If none of this makes sense to you, just try looking away from texts, and trying to read the thing which is not a text, which is in front of you. I guarantee you will find it helpful. 


No comments :

Post a Comment