2024-04-12 at

Short-term memory - and data collected on edge

My friend was not sure why I said I had trouble forgetting a TV show we watched. I explained that the TV show being several hours long, contained a lot of data, which remains in my short-term memory. Most of this data is not relevant to my hourly work, so I have been trying to forget it.


A tv show such as the one we watched would have

- a number of cinematographic composition decisions

- a script

- a cast of actors

- an art director

- a set of real world artifacts reflected in the movie


Each actor would further have : 

- a vocal timbre

- an accent or capability to mimic other accents

- a kinesthetic profile / posture

- etc.


Of course, most people dont notice, process, or retain this information about TV shows ... in the way that most people don't deconstruct the design decisions behind the clothes, food, machines, administrative processes, and places that they interact with a on daily basis.


Some of us do, however. We just have different training. One way to illustrate the mode of thought is, if you look at some movies and a character doesn't see ordinary objects, only the formal representation of those thing as "code". There's an earlier reference I can think of which motivated me to train myself in this way ... in a children's book from many years ago, a character would automatically see the accelerated aging process of any item they looked at.


I thought that was generally useful, so I was always looking to have a similar understanding of the world.

No comments :

Post a Comment