2024-03-12 at

High-context and Low-context : Friend and Family

I was negotiating a relationship with someone whom I consider to be a friend.

My advice was : friendship does not mean, you can expect favours from someone - but of course, some people will disagree with this definition of friendship.

The way I think about people, you can ask anyone for anything ... but you would realistically expect nothing. Others of course, might believe that you can NOT simply ask for things - but they similarly also expect things from certain people.

This part of the definitive dichotomy between high-context, and low-context cultures.

Similarly, this occurs in people's usage of the term "family" - I treat my family as a subset of my frends, there are no expectations, and I will shamelessly ask anything of them, while expecting nothing.

No comments :

Post a Comment