2013-01-17 at

HTML5: challenged challenger

I may be totally out of my depth on this, but in my limited experience, rendering a complicated DOM is the resource bottleneck. Keeping the DOM small, by moving items in only when they need to be rendered via GPU, and deleting them from the DOM when they're out of view, is key. I did use the infamous HTML5 $FB app, and I'm not sure if they addressed this issue - it always seemed like they kept the whole timeline in the DOM... scrolling then became a bitch.

As an afterthought, it seems that a static timeline should be rendered only once, and thereafter stored in RAM for buffering to the viewport, but I don't think that's how the HTML5 rendering engine for iOS apps worked.

Ah, whatever. What do I know about this, anyway.

No comments :

Post a Comment