2017-08-21 at

Yawn 29

August 9-21

START

One little fire at a time. Enforced rest.

/

So a new friend has coffee like this: mocha Milo, milk and sugar, hand ground light roast beans. #noshame #fuckyouhipsters #ilikewhatilike

/

Friend: "We should have sabermetrics for business staff. Finding the stats that matter in hiring people."

Me: "Already broadly done at interviews: asking them what did you achieve, delta between start and finish, epsilon between target and achievement, etc. What you want is... a standardised framework for a company to track this data. Then a standardised platform for companies to trade this data. Then corporate jobs become like sports jobs. And then you win. But the high trust levels required, and the long incubation time for the data to be proven valuable, means that this is a project better suited for a consulting firm with existing relationships, and a new startup. You could also make it happen if you were a small business association."
Or you figure out how to hack around it. Which would be an interesting startup problem. Probably by having a project management tool / ERP that helps businesses get work done first, but with the requisite data collection and cleaning along the way under the hood.

/

The Triggered are the pawns of the Marxists, and the Marxists are the pawns of the Capitalists. It all makes sense now.
.
Related thought, there are many definitions of Feminism. One definition is that feminism is rooted in empathy - but if that is the definition of feminism, then I am not a feminist, because I don't believe that minds deserve empathy just for being minds. Of course this is based on an ontology of minds being a superset of human minds. I'm most definitely not a humanist... but that's old hat... I mean humanism and feminism are religious conventions: convenient ethical systems, but none of them are necessarily ideal. You have to constantly debate them.

/

Selling an expensive espresso machine: Gonna drop the price of this in RM1,000 increments until it moves, or we have better luck elsewhere.

/

Hmm. Even with a fridge overhaul, we turned a profit in July. If you discount my late fine for GST, but so far I've paid for it personally and haven't claimed it. So we turned a profit in July. Lol

/

SoundCloud saved by Singapore. #idfbi

/

Burnouts: I got news for ya, kids, nothing you ever think of is really meaningful outside your head, so you should focus on what you want regardless of presumed meaning.

/

Get me away from everyone who needs to love their work, in order to do it well. Kill them with fire. Burn in hell, rats. Yawn. Good morning - back to work with the happy people.

/

Cafe for sale: Finally got around to posting this, took a whole year to dress it up, because I'm slow AF. Must remember to repost to brand page on Sunday after rushhours. :P

/

Business models: Spotify seriously needs to diversify

/

Enforced physical conditioning. Study of controlled descent into fight or flight mode. Much revision of neurological readings required. In the absence of appointments, it looks like a good day to date myself and catch up on that. Set three, begins... consciousness is little more than shuttling between arbitrary predetermined modes of meat. #formation much.

We're only 5-10 years away from muay thai bots that can spar competitively outside a DARPA lab. Sooner than five, if you allow explosive charges be used to drive blows.

Clean up. Enforced feeding. Observations.

/

Keys obtained. Next to repair, paint, wash, and liquidate the flat...

/

"Sorry, I'm staring, ma'am. It's the earrings."
"Sorry, I'm staring, ma'am. It's the pants."
"Sorry, I'm staring, ma'am. It's the flats."
#sureitis

/

Social media has hijacked our minds? Security rings. Read all about it, noobs.

/

"Hand out a prospectus for a small, struggling company." => "Broadcast the fact that you are probably an idiot."

/

Seeing exponential sales growth in the last fortnight, off the year's trough before... wondering how long this can continue.

/

"love bombing" - all love related subjects are applicable to business.

/

Women hurt each other to get ahead in the world of men: I find that the inverse is true, among men hunting women. It's competition?

/

Today's housekeeping: Fix bathroom door again. Clear two years of email. Temporarily disconnect all feeds on politics, as I divert recreational budgets elsewhere.

/

Googlegendergate - culture wars hit Silicon Valley - Say it again: majoring in the humanities is useless. Haha. #sarcasm #youhaditcoming

/

New friends with old problems: How do these kids trust old people so easily? I'm an old person, and I don't even trust myself!

http://lyingcheatingbastards.com/
REGISTER YOUR EX HERE

(Given recent customer feedback, someone ought to run a startup called...)

/

A droll and talky day.
Investor disinterested.

/

"Self-confidence is a very big plus. Thank you for being you! It doesn't matter if we don't get along - as long as we make reasonable efforts to suss out all opportunities for compatibility. 😬😬 "

I think I should put this at the top of my personal ads. Do you find it too brutal? I spend a lot of my work life developing timid people, and I sometimes run out of patience for doing the same after work...

/

Tangling with the dark magic of a wi-fi repeater.

A more transparent configuration uses a separate SSID on the downstream router, but uses the upstream router for DHCP. This works for an evening, then... it takes down the docket printers. Officially dealing with emergencies in my pajamas.

/

63/5800 emails remaining.. FTS. Going to bed. :P
.
Found from 13-15 months ago:
ONE sales order, no longer relevant, which is why I never tell anyone to email me at this job;
ONE investor suggestion, implemented yesterday, by accident.
.
So yay for progress, and boo for short-staffing.

/

Toilet paper: Apparently it was invented by the Chinese, to the surprise of Arab travellers. No wonder #balikcina tensions are so high here.

/

What the EPA in fish oil supplements is doing. Also, it turns out there's only 90kcal in each gram of the stuff, so I've moved towards taking these as snacks anyway... until blood-thinning effects show up. Hm.

/

Garlic turns out to be good mainly for its release of hydrogen sulphide, which is a signalling molecule in the body.
Read up a bit on gaseous signalling molecules.

/

Inbox hasn't been this clean in two years. Rest of the business: still wobbly AF.

/

Come to think of it, I've been living in a $150/month hotel room for two years almost. Except I had to design and maintain it myself. I used to think this is what jet-setting consultants did - haven't gone down that route yet, but ended up here anyway. Thunderstorms. Catching up on procrastinated bedrest. Reading the journals of people I love, whom I'm forbidden from speaking too. Heavy sigh. Wishing the best things in life to people who cannot approach my own. It is a strange life, but only if you presume things like a normal person.

/

Guys, you too need to bimboticise yourselves, in order to not-intimidate women.

/


Girl ties Elmo and pillow to waist, sneaks out to join friends by jumping from the 7th floor. Dies. Hm. Singaporean Darwinism pauses for thought.

/

Many acquaintances/ randos/ friends:
"Some days I want to kill myself. I feel depressed because I want more in life, but cannot get it. So I am demotivated."
.
My personal response:
"I know it's weird to most people. But death is pretty much the baseline for me. I don't think of it as depression, just fatigue, if I'm too tired, I suppose it is time to die. It's never a question whether to die or not, it's just a question of when. I don't expect anything else from life - I'm happy with what I have, and I decided this should always be the case, years ago. I don't concern myself with hypotheses about hell after death, currently, sic, so there's nothing really worrisome about being dead. And I wish all this were the same for you. I don't think people should feel pressured to stay alive - it is your life, if you want to die, the state should pay for it, you've paid your taxes."
.
Probably famous last words in the worst sense. Now when these are friends at the office, I can't encourage them in an official capacity to kill themselves, as my job does not belong to me, and I cannot simply speak as I like. But here I talk about work, and the challenges of bringing enlightenment to others within the constraints of civil society and commercial convention. It is harrowing. So many people have been deluded to seek ambition for no good reason - ambitions should not make you sad, ambitions should only result from happiness. If you are sad, and your ambition is to become less sad, you have made a critical error as soon as you believe that happiness will result from any activity/operation except focus, commitment, and the sheer fucking will to be content with the present. Lol

/

"Her" movie: Well executed. Good introduction for the uninitiated, into labour automation and cyborg societies. But I only made it through 45 minutes of the protagonist's characterisation... ah, back when I had time to go more slowly and enjoy watching Napolean Dynamite because it reminded me of most kids at school...

/


/

Sorry - nasi lemak wasn't interesting to begin with. Nor were burgers. #whatisthis #itshappeningagain
.
Well obviously, it's just that I don't see food as a prioritised avenue for pleasure. OK - I know how we have to tweak the messaging...

/

Cooler Lumpur:

Back at the cultural festival. Not expecting to be greatly stimulated. Just engaging in routine social conditioning and cultural anthropology. Even if you can only afford rubbish, you should mix it up and eat all kinds. Doing the same thing all the time just makes you dumber.

/

Staff performances at delivering customers that "order within five minutes, or fuck off," is utter shit. But, I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing!!

/

Approaching, but not yet returned fully, to my preferred normal rate of thought. So tonight I'll date myself and read:

Tonight's readings tied together the discourse on:
- fish oil and [ω-3, ω-6] fatty acids in general
- aspirin and other NSAIDs; and panadol; St. John's wort
- grapefruit juice effect; Earl Grey tea; pomelos
.
So it turns out that the whole falala over ω-3 and ω-6 fatty acid ratios is... that theses two types of things are metabolised along parallel pathways that compete for the same enzymes, but one of the pathways (ω-6) results in more inflammation. So the practice is to boost ω-3 presence simply to displace ω-6 from being metabolised.
.
A lot of these inflammatory events are results from cyclooxygenase (COX) pathways, and it is these pathways which are in turn addressed casually by OTC medications in the non-steroidal anti-inflammation drug category (NSAIDs)... aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. For whatever reason, the NSAIDs tend to promote atherothrombosis and eventual heart attack (distinguished from cardiac arrest) expect aspirin, which is partly how aspirin ends up being used in therapy to prevent heart attacks. Paracetamol (Panadol) which is broadly used in Malaysia is not a NSAID, as it works only on inhibiting pain in the CNS, not at the inflammatory sources of pain.
.
Besides NSAIDs, hyperforin (thought to be the primary therapeutic ingredient of St John's wort), is also a potent COX inhibitor. It turns out however that hyperforin, among other items found in SJW is an inducer (catalyst) for the enzyme CYP3A4 which is responsible for oxidising various organic molecules in the liver and intestine.
.
CYP3A4 happens to be the enzyme which is inhibited (the opposite of induced) by the famous grapefruit juice effect, which is frequently involved in drug-drug interactions that prevent toxic medication from being excreted from the body, resulting sometimes in sickness. The specific chemical is bergamottin, as you may guess, it was first found in the also famous Bergamot oranges that give Earl Grey tea its flavour. Other citrus fruits are suspect as well - after all, a grapefruit is the cross between an orange and a pomelo. We grow a lot of pomelos in Malaysia.
.
Fascinating stuff. Readings interrupted only by counselling events conducted over the telephone.


/


END

No comments :

Post a Comment