2018-06-02 at

Libraries and Hegemony

"There's no need for better libraries, Malaysian don't read."
"There isn't a private library in the world that's demand-driven. Libraries are perpetuators of hegemony. They're top-down infrastructure, investments driven by values ("policy targets")."
.
The definition of objective value, or 'what is good,' is based on subjective value: if you value the ability of individuals to act according to their whims, then you are said to be on the left, and if you value the ability of one party to enforce discipline over other parties, then you are said to be on the right. These are arbitrary preferences. Each society determines a practical consensus, which may be more right- or left-leaning, then proceeds to brainwash the next generation of its population accordingly. This is just biology.
.
I grew up in a conservative ("right-leaning") society, and therefore had rather liberal ("left-leaning") tendencies as a child. Since the age of twenty, by which time I had completed many of the fundamentals of studies which interested me as a child, I find myself more of a centrist. This is in light of my background as a technician. I strive to be the person who knows the price of everything, and to associate myself with the value of nothing. I wonder if this where technocrats come from.

No comments :

Post a Comment