2021-09-20 at

recap : 2011-2021

It's been a long decade. It started out the year after a two-year contract managing web developers in Bangsar. I ran small gigs for $4,000/mo, helped my friend to run public relations for YTL Comms, SAP, EMC, and Microsoft, and started practicing stock trades on the KLSE. I bought a tablet to study PDFs.

I was dating someone I'd met at my first post-college interview six years earlier - she didn't really like me - probably explains why I was only offered an internship. We went to Bali and Bandung - I'm not much of a tourist ... but I'll travel for business, and women are good business. We were supposed to do Yangon, but I screwed that up, because I sucked at planning. I bought my first Kancil for $1,400, because she'd made me drive her TT back after dropping her at the airport for a business trip ... and it was pretty scary driving without any practice. So I practiced, and crashed the Kancil within a month of getting it. I got the car fixed.

I figured that I should start investing in real-estate - I was 28, and with a first car I could drive out far enough to actually afford something. I settled on a cheap $20,000 flat in Kajang. I ended up living there for less than 18 months over the decade. Right now it's unkempt, and covered in dust and dead birds - we'll need to hook up the power and water again. I'm waiting for my PA to spare me a few days.

It was 2011. I spent most of 2012 studying functional programming at home, and my imaginary friends were the Bloomberg anchors. Facebook, Apple, Herbalife - that was an interesting study. 2013 was spent entrepreneuring as a business consultant, and learning about speciality coffee. I sold the tablet to my client as a POS. I set up some Facebook group that flourished, then resigned as it's administrator. 2014 I worked four jobs, clawing back from $400/mo to $4,000/mo. The third job was so monotonous, that I learnt how to swim ... just doggy paddling with my head above the pool water. 2015 I met the love of my life, and founded my own business, which ran for five years before I was arrested. We sold the trademark, and buried the operation. People died.

It's 2021 now. Every single one of these experiences has turned out to be foundational for the work I do today. I don't know what I'll be doing in ten years, but it feels ok right now. I'm on track with what i thought I'd do between 20 and 40. I'm 38 this year. Right on track. Why ain't I dead yet? IDK. I guess I still haven't pissed off the right people. I still haven't bought insurance. When will I die? There's only one way to find out ... oh, but I gave up waiting for Apple to unify the iPhone, iPad, and Macbook ... so I got an Android tablet, and that's where this is being written. Let's see if consolidation works.

No comments :

Post a Comment