2019-11-15 at

Dreams are not Goals, but they can be Useful Distractions

I used to tell myself that at least ten years in a stretch should be set aside for the study of commerce. Year seven will soon end. Some say a business should run for at least eight years, before it can be retired. Year five has just begun.

Just past 2 AM, I have just woken, eaten breakfast, cleared my notifications, followed-up on community conversations, and done a few chores at work. There is much to do, and I work mostly in a bubble. Sometimes I use my computer to read a mantra reminding me of what needs to stay in my short-term memory. Sometimes I broadcast my presence to a public location, where I can interact with others. Now it is time for a second dose of instant coffee, and a tiny bit more reflection on priorities, before proceeding with the next set of chores.

I have a dream. A dream that humanity will outgrow its whims, and establish itself as an orderly force. A dream that we will bury forever our senses of humour, empathy, excitement, and attachment to existence for its own sake. I do not believe that I will see this dream fulfilled, nor do I work towards it in particular. But it is a dream that keeps me company, and which motives my direction in work.

It helps to pass the time. It is a low priority dream.

No comments :

Post a Comment