2022-05-20 at

Gibberish Menus, and the Tyranny of Words

In the course of my work in F&B, and in my personal life ... I've eaten at maybe six unfamiliar restaurants in the past three weeks. All of them displayed a common illness. They did not provide picture menus.

This is a disorder because the same restaurants had pictures of their dishes already taken for out-of-store marketing communications purposes, yet none of these restaurants communicated in raw visual media (ex-text) at their in-store point-of-sale.

To be more specific, visual menus are not expected of traditional restaurants serving traditional food to local customers. However, as soon as a restaurant needs a VERBAL menu to list out what it sells, the absence of a PICTORIAL menu becomes an issue immediately.

I don't eat words. And I don't want to listen to someone using more words to explain a bunch of other words, when better methods exist for uploading your menu to my brain.

No comments :

Post a Comment