2024-01-24 at

Altruism, Utilitarianism, and Meritocracy

Altruism vs Meritocracy :

I went to college on mostly-free money as an affirmative-action candidate ("international students" tended to benefit from a diversity quota). What I saw was that there were far less privileged, and more pained people around me ... so I opted out of applying for scholarships after that first big one. I even considered stopping halfway through college, as I didn't value the experience highly, and felt it was a bit wasted on me. But a dean told me I was expected to finish, and it was free money, so I stayed. I took the money, which was about half a million Ringgit in 2001. 

From a meritocratic point of view, I could get more scholarships, and more career opportunities. From a utilitarian point of view, my happiness level was already extremely high, and my pain level was already extremely low, so the opportunities would generate more happiness and reduce more pain by being made available to other people. I didn't even bother to use the free visa they gave me after college - there were so many people desperate to stay in the US. I just left and went back to Malaysia almost immediately because I had the capability to be just as happy anywhere I go. 

( Or, you could also say, I was too lazy to compete in America. Or, you could say, the work that makes me happy isn't tied to any geography or social structure. Whatever, right? I'll admit life is multivariate. ) 

Similarly, there are lots of people who don't like taking jobs just because "they know someone" or "got a recommendation" or "are a woman" ... that's their lifestyle preference I guess. 

No comments :

Post a Comment