2024-05-30 at

The search for public disapproval

A lot of social psychology discusses the search for approval, and its acuteness in social media where people "post for likes".


Obviously I have a bit of the opposite problem ( whereas, I think I have a balanced lifestyle ) ... a great deal of my social interaction is about "posting for dislikes". I've always been critical of the like-button as a marketing tool, and I've often said the hate-button is much easier to monetise, as it generates a better signal-to-noise ratio.

Trolls. That is the nature of the enterprise. I wonder if we come from backgrounds where we received too much approval, coupled with undesirable qualities attached to that approval - perhaps the approving parties were distasteful, wrong, or simply unprofitable.

Anyway. It remains a constant challenge for all of us ... those who do not interact with others ... those who interact, optimising for approval ... those who interact, optimising for disapproval ... those who interact to seek a balance ... those who interact to obtain information.

You can only seek so much disapproval, before someone starts to ignore you. Then you start again!

No comments :

Post a Comment