2024-08-16 at

2004 vs 2024 : a brief comparison of student lives

// superstructure //


College was supposed to be for "figuring out what to do after college", and in 2004 I had figured that I should study commercial stuff while ruminating on my learnings from college ... until I was 40. 


And having reached 40, 40-49 has now been designated for catching up on everything I didn't get to do from 21-40. 


Plus now, I get to figure out what to do when I get to 50, if I ever get there.


// 2004 ish //


I metriculated at college in 2001, and spent a good chunk of 2003 interviewing professors about why no one could explain how the entire syllabus fit together in a logical fashion. Most of 2004 was focused on independent study, afterwhich I was just waiting to graduate.


I don't want to talk about 2005 - but 2004 was a lot of fun ... I would sometimes fill up a backpack AND a crate with books from the library, take them back to my room, skim the lot, and check them all back in the next day. That was just the required pace. By the end of the year I had a good grasp of two things. One, I had expected to understand how university syllabi had changed over the course of history; two, unexpectedly, I also figured out how to quantify human experience in general - I had started thinking about this in 2001, but I didn't really think it would be solved so quickly.


// in between //


2005 was a great year for a break, but I also dragged my feet through the final courseload protocols and then had to get started figuring out how to learn about commerce in Malaysia. The next two decades proved to be a lot of fun, albeit much more rough and tumble than the life on scholarship, free housing, and three buffets a day. 


I tried to take every seventh year off for studies, but got bogged down by a "this is the hill I die on," sort of business for about six years, until there wasn't anything left on the hill to defend. Then I worked on other people's businesses for two years, before the next opportunity to take a break popped up a decade after the previous one.


// 2024 ish //


Most of 2023 was spent on chores : administrative clean-ups, home improvement, local government, and social investments. The long and slow studies were nutritional guinea-pigging myself, for the most part - changes in diet necessitate a change in cognition, and changes in cognition require a lot of reflection to tie together, if you don't have spotters. I've almost never had spotters for my hobbies. 


2024 has been less stressy on the social part, and massive issues about real estate and local government got cleared up in the first half of the year. Now in the second half, I'm stabbily pursuing a lockdown into some sort of routine to maximise efficiency about actual studies. So far it's looking like pool-reading-crosstraining is the way to go ... I don't know man, I'll figure it out. 


One day at a time ... on my plate : all the shit that got put on the backburner since 1999 or so. Global macro, electronics, and well ... more chores. Let's go.

No comments :

Post a Comment