2020-02-26 at

Reflection: On the economics of friendship and intimacy

(I identify as male, theoretically pansexual, heterosexual in practice, preferring polyamory, but often committed to monogamous relationships for a limited duration.)
.
In my younger days, I received offers of friendship from various parties and usually accepted such offers from attractive females. I can trace this bias back to at least the age of four or five! Women I met at that age remain within my social network, and I remember my first meetings with some of them. For the earlier years, I didn't always realise that my circle of friends was affected by it, but by the time I was 24-years-old, I was quite conscious of this bias, and proceeded to own it with intentionality.
.
Before that age, some of these friends would share their opinions about beauty with me, some would share their accounts of sex. And then I lost some of these friends when I began to reply with my own opinions about their beauty (or lack thereof). And I lost some others when I began to query their interest in having sex with myself.
.
My learnings about how people seek friendships is incomplete, as from a young age I was fairly independent. My father remembers reports from my fourth-grade teacher complaining about my self-satisfaction during recess. Every so often, it is good for me to review my deficiencies here. Even in sexual relationships with women over the past decade (I am thirty-seven this year), I often manage to piss-off my counterparties. When I am unaware and accidentally, and provocative regarding their beliefs and values. And when I am aware and intentionally doing so.
.
Yet I am grateful to the women who have lent me their time, thoughts, and touches, over years and years. While I will probably not be a better friend or lover, than I have been in the past, I hope that on average my strategies about this portfolio of relationships will not cause significant damage to anyone. I remain greatly concerned for the welfare of many friends, whom I have dearest from among the lovers.
.
And always, I am forced to query myself, if there is any value to my friendship, given that I have extended it within the context of my bias. A young friend who worries me very much discussed such relationships with me, last Christmas. I came up with some detailed questions for her, but I don't know if she will listen to me again. Some come, some go, some easier, some otherwise. That is to be accepted.
.
Oh, tomorrow is St. Valentine's day...

No comments :

Post a Comment