2020-09-21 at

Avoiding Product-Market Fit

 I was speaking with an acquaintance who works at large company which I have peeked into since 2011. I find myself explaining again my aversion to working on "predictable" business models - some companies have interesting operations at the tactical level because of strategic stability, but that stability also provides very limited opportunity to do any work that is more interesting than winning the next knife fight.

Perhaps I should reword my copy to say, when it comes to working on strategy, I am only interested in businesses which have yet to achieve product-market fit. Finding anyone who wants to invest in these is a whole different discussion. As for me, I already wrote off my life for work like* this, fifteen years ago. There isn't much else to look forward to, for me. I don't think the other stuff is very interesting. 

[* Albeit, it wasn't specifically this kind of work in commerce - but rather this kind of work in general; to pay for it, one needs to participate in commerce; and some commercial work is specifically that kind of work, I suppose. ]

Confused about the business case for high-risk innovation R&D? Check out the concept of "good is the enemy of great." I believe that mantra has a successful rate of engagement, so you may find it easier to understand.

Or try this: "avoid product-market fit for as long as possible, if the fit isn't defensible".

No comments :

Post a Comment