2013-01-26 at

"Typeless" Haskell?

I like breaking things. That's just a caveat regarding the non-seriousness of this post.

Before I dug into Erlang and Haskell, I wondered, "what features / semantics do I have to throw out, to make the world's most accessible programming language (i.e. JavaScript) a little bit faster?," in the same way that some derivatives of Python throw out implicit typing, and thereby ease auto-compilation to C.

Now, having figured out how Erlang works at the user level (mostly), and how Haskell works at the user level (moderately), I'm wondering, "what features / semantics do I have to throw out (or hide) in Haskell, to make it easier to use for low-performance computing?" So I thought, hmm, could one write, in Template Haskell, a macro that performs duck-typing at compile time?

Haven't put much thought into it, but Fay seems to take a decent stab at this sort of thing, albeit a distinct problem than what I am referring to above. Fay tackles compilation, from a Haskellian dialect to JavaScript.

I am, above, interested in a Haskellian dialect for general purpose computing, which is "as easy to learn (and therefore more bug prone)," as JavaScript, at the expense of performance. I'm not bothered if it doesn't compile to JavaScript.

No comments :

Post a Comment