2022-04-08 at

Genealogy of a the "Outsize Date" Complication

I got into watches in 2022 because I had some dressing room pressure from a date. A brief study indicated that the automatic quartz movement is actually on-brand for me as a techie 😛 so I got a mint Seiko Kinetic Perpetual 2016, second-hand on Carousell, part of a central banker's dowry which he was liquidating.

( What a gaudy-ass motherfucker : SNP114P2 )

A few weeks later someone asked me if it was an A. Lange & Söhne Datograph - and we figured out that the complication the two watches had in common was the Outsize Date.

So roughly, here's what that's all about. A. Lange & Söhne is a marque with a long history. In 1994 they relaunched with this :


And the inspiration for that complication is said to be this :


You can read about the opera house's clock and IT'S place in the history of clocks, here.

And then well, along came Seiko in 2005 with this press release :


Anyway, my Seiko's original colours are way too loud for my brand, so I've been toying with its facade.

No comments :

Post a Comment