2019-10-21 at

Throwback: Personal Finances in 2009

/posted in a personal finance group/

#throwback 2009. What were your personal finances like in 2009?

  • -I got my first job as a bartender in 2008
    • - - I had previously worked at a government think tank, a management consulting firm, and in investment management, but I found the opportunities there to be limited (dumb people, low Malaysian market sophistication, highly paid colleagues were ladder climbers, deep local knowledge and domain mastery, but no intricate technical expertise, and no global perspective, etc.).
    • - - I had paid off my student debt, put myself on sabbatical, finally got around to prioritising getting laid over studying, and helped a small team of trainers to sell their company to a local newspaper (lol?).
  • - Minimum wage was RM500/month
    • - - It's going to be RM1200/month on 1 Jan 2020, and people are still complaining. I am always rolling my eyes.
  • - Taxis cost something like RM2.00/2km + RM0.10/150m (2005 -> ?)
    • - - I felt public transport was actually worth my money; I don't anymore
    • - - I would sometimes cycle to work from Section 5 in PJ to Changkat Bukit Bintang
    • - - Sometimes cycling home at 3am, I'd see broken cars with bloodied windows on the Federal Highway
  • - I had just laid out my 5+year plan for graduate studies (self-guided)
    • - - I practiced tracking and categorising every sen of personal expenditure for a year.
    • - - I spent most of 2009 helping to set up a web-application product company, and learning how to perform back-end web-development, use Linux, and virtual machines.
    • - - Got paid about RM4,000/month freelance, with a stock grant. I have no idea whether I'll ever see cash on that stock. I get paid less at my current job in 2019 - but I run the company, even if I don't control it.
    • - - I lived in a house, which was our office, near Telawi in Bangsar. I paid rent. I got a girlfriend. We moved out.
    • - - Then it was 2010.

No comments :

Post a Comment