2026-08-16 at

Why have I met so many stupid people? A POV at 43.

Why have I met so many stupid people? A POV at 43.

Review of institutional relations :

From 1983 to 2001, I dealt mostly with my parents. The data was not so good, but it is what it is, one does not get to choose about this. I was happy to exit this environment. ASAP. We are generally congenial and have no ill-will towards each other, though I would think they have had more attachment to me, while I have deprioritised it aggressively since 2000.

From 2001 to 2005, I dealt mostly with my college. It only took me until 2003 to figure out that academia as a sector was poorly structured, and that my teachers here were mostly cogs in a sector they had no interest in drastically reforming. I was paid well, and made the most of my time here.

From 2005 to 2010, I dealt mostly with my employers. It took me a few months to eyeball the status quo and eject from government think tanks, then a year and a bit more to do the same for consulting and banking by 2007. Then until 2010 I worked with small business owners, before intermittently dabbling in running my own businesses from 2011 to 2020.

Perhaps it was just my luck of trying to find a place among ordinary people : the result was, I spent much of all this time with people who are naturally stupid, and comfortable in their stupor. A poorly paid serf, does not have much opportunity to offer their own servants.

So if I want to meet smarter people, I may have to switch strategies to avoid ordinary life. I will think about this some more over the years to come.

---

Discussion :

Who do I consider stupid, she asked me. I thought it was clear enough in my previous comments. For the avoidance of doubt :

- people who trust counterparties without contingency plans

- people who want to publish for personal gain, instead of avoiding publication which does not serve public interest

- people who want to repeat known business models, instead of aiming to destroy them

- people who want to do their favourite things repeatedly instead of learning new things

- people who prefer to stability of a population over development of the survivors

Talking points of course. This is very abstract. 

No comments :

Post a Comment